I love Swedish meatballs. I love the texture of them. The are almost fluffy and always taste delicious. I don’t remember where I found this recipes, but it has become a regular in our household. Easy to make and yummy to eat.
Sometimes if I have leftover mushrooms I’ll throw them in the sauce.
- 6 pieces of wheat bread, toasted, crusts removed, and cubed
- 3/4 cup half-and-half, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup dry plain bread drumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 12 oz. jar homestyle beef gravy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine bread, 1/4 cup half and half, and the egg. Let soak 5 minutes. Mash bread mixture with a fork and add all remaining ingredients, except butter and gravy. Mix together and shape into mini meatballs, using cookie scoop.
- Pour oil in a nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, browning on all sides. Transfer finished meatballs to a covered baking dish. Toss meatballs in 1/4 cup of gravy, cover, and bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, over medium heat, combine remaining gravy and remaining 1/2 cup half-and-half. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Serve meatballs with creamy gravy and buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes.