I have always wanted to make macaroni and cheese from scratch. Well tonight was the night I finally did it! It is truly delicious. I found my recipe from the pioneer woman and changed it a bit for our tastes. My husband says he will eat any recipe that woman makes. LOL!
- 4 cups dried macaroni
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 teaspoons dried mustard
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 lb colby cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook macaroni for 5 minutes and drain.
- Beat egg in small bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter and add flour. Whisk constantly over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes until lightly brown.
- Pour in milk and mustard and whisk until combined. Cook for 5 minutes and reduce heat to low.
- Pour some of the milk mixture in to the egg and whisk, trying to avoid scrambling the egg. Then gradually add egg mixture to milk mixture whisking constantly.
- Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper, and stir to combine. Taste to make sure it is well seasoned. Add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Add macaroni to cheese mixture and stir to coat. Pour into a buttered 13×9 baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs, additional cheddar cheese, and a couple dots of butter. Bake at 375 F for 15 minutes.