I always seem to have a little buttermilk leftover from other recipes and I am always trying to find ways to use it up. Tonight I searched around on the internet and found a yummy and easy recipe on about.com. I changed it up a little bit and it came out quite delicious. The batter tasted pretty good on the spoon too. 😉
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until combined. Scrape down sides and beat in egg and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Add half of the buttermilk and stir to combine. Add half the flour mixture and stir to combine. Repeat with remaining buttermilk and flour mixture.
- Scrape batter into a greased 9 x 9 inch baking pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake cake until golden and a toothpick or knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
You could always sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top if you are feeling spicy.