I had some leftover buttermilk in the refrigerator and I wanted to find a recipe so I could use it up. I came across a buttermilk coffee cake recipe on allrecipes.com and this is my interpretation. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the topping. Carefully spread with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.