This recipe was in USA Weekend in Sunday’s paper in January. I made the cookies in heart shapes for Valentine’s Day. They came out pretty good. Not super sweet and they have a brownie taste. They tasted better the next day after being in an airtight container overnight.
3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for counter
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Whisk the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder, and set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl. Mix in vanilla. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
4. Roll out the the cookie dough on a floured counter to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Cut into desired shapes, brushing extra deposits of flour off the top.
5. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 11 minutes, until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.
6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.